Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Executive Editor of the Beacon Free Press Intervenes

Mr. White,
We are in receipt of your letter but are unable to print it in its present form out of concern for libel and propriety issues. We feel that its tone, language, and message are hateful and constitute what one member of our editorial board deemed a "vile attack" on citizens of our community.
If you'd care to revise the letter, making it a respectful expression of your opinion, we'd be more than happy to review a second submission.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via e-mail or at ***-****.
Thank you.
NAME REMOVED FOR LEGAL PURPOSES
Executive Editor/General Manager
Southern Dutchess News & Beacon Free Press

Cpl. Cliff White's Rebuke:

Mr. NAME REMOVED,
First, it's Cpl. White, I haven't been a Mr. in over 50 years.
So I am led to believe that you will censor the voice of a man who fought for his country's freedom? I reviewed my letter and saw very little error therein. I have made little changes to ensure that my voice will be heard this Wednesday. In a time when the only thing people have left is their freedom of speech as opposed to the lack of financial security, I find it very very important that you run what I have to say. If my peers and predecessors cannot hear me how will they learn from me and or from what you may call a "vile attack." I find it very indecent of you to reject me. Rejection on the eve of the bum takeover. I am extremely offended that my voice has been questioned. Please re-read my newly noted letter very carefully. I hope for a chance to be given the floor for just a few paragraphs.
This is the biggest insult dealt to me in quite some time. I have revised a few key phrases that would exempt me and the Beacon Free Press from any libel and propriety issues.
Since I have excluded the names of Quinns diner and Poughkeepsie I expect to see my opinion in this Wednesdays paper.
I understand that some people may see what I have to say as a "vile attack" but dear Lord can not a man of my age and of such pride be honored the respect he deserves when he demands that he be heard by his peers? Especially as a homeless person pleads for harmony in a town that experiences much discord!!??
Sir, I think I have deserved the right to be seen in print and let the people of this great town get to see both ends of this very polarized issue.
Please re-read what I have sent below and see that I have taken out all specific names of people in town and in neighboring cities that I don't want to hurt in the process of cleaning these streets.
Mr. NAME REMOVED I would appreciate a swift reply this time as I do not have the time to pander to your politics much longer. I have spoken my mind as an honest and loyal citizen of this town and hope you and your staff, no matter how "vile" my opinion may sound, will run my thoughts. I understand that my letter may sound harsh, but it is the reality that some of your staff might have to come to grips with. My wife thinks I am being a little hard on the homeless and this Rufus character who has really ruffled my feathers, but I have an obligation now to the Common Good to react in the American Arena.
Thank you for your time,
Cpl. Cliff White

No comments:

Post a Comment